New Zealand Patients Tell Researchers that Homeopathy Works
I have re-quoted the article here since it is short, the full url to the original is at the bottom of the page:
A recent survey in New Zealand reported that the use of homoeopathy was ‘thriving’.
The researchers gave self-reporting questionnaires at random to patients waiting in their GP’s surgeries.
They were asked, among other things:
1.What conditions they had used homoeopathy for, and
2.Whether they believed it had helped.
With the survey being conducted in doctor’s waiting rooms, the researchers fully expected respondents to be sceptical of homoeopathy. Instead, they were surprised by the results – though reluctant to attribute them to homeopathy being effective.
Of 124 completed surveys, 65% of participants had used homoeopathy for conditions such as bruises, coughs, depression, eczema, joint pain, skin problems, sinusitis, and stress.
More than 92% of users believed that homoeopathy helped at least sometimes while 65% said that helped most times, or every time.
1. Holt S and Gilbey A,. (2009) Beliefs about homeopathy among patients presenting at GP surgeries, New Zealand Medical Journal, Vol 122 No,1295
2. Steinsbekk, A. Patients’ assessments of the effectiveness of homeopathic care in Norway: A prospective observational multicentre outcome study. Homeopathy, Vol. 94, Issue 1, January 2005, pp.10-16.
3. Sevar, R. Audit of outcome in 829 consecutive patients treated with homeopathic medicine. British Homeopathic Journal. Vol. 89, No. 4. Oct. 2000.
4. Homeopathy within the NHS. Evaluation of homeopathic treatment of common mental health problems. 1995-1997. Alistair Dempster. Rydings Hall Surgery, Brighouse, West Yorkshire. ISBN No 1901262014.
4. Cucherat, M., Haugh, M. C., Gooch, M., & Boissel, J. P. 2000, “Evidence of clinical efficacy of homeopathy. A meta-analysis of clinical trials. HMRAG. Homeopathic, Medicines Research Advisory Group”, European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology., vol.. 56, no. 1,
5. Retospective survey of homeopathic treatment, Danmarks Farmaceutiske Hojskolae, 1995.Andersen, H. E., Eldove, P., Klassisk Homeopati – og dens brugere. Institut for Samfundsfarmaci, Danmarks Farmaceutiske Hojskole. 1995. Andersen, Helle Egbjerg. En undersegelse af Klassisk Homopati. Teorier, praksis og brugererfaringer. 1999. ISBN No 87-987279-0-7.